NATURAL SUPPLIES FOR PETS

7/13/09

What to Do With Trap-Wise Cats

After doing TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) for almost 2 years, two really stubborn or trap-wise cats still evaded capture. I called a local wildlife rescue agency for trapping tips. Nothing they suggested worked. Burying and disguising the cage did not work. Using the smelliest fishy food I could find did not work. Hanging bacon from the roof of the trap did not lure them in. And these remaining two (Liddy and Mongol) were quite fond of the conjugal activity which kept creating more litters. So I decided to Google phrases like “hard to trap cats” I found stories and videos about the drop trap. Plus, since the one person that I found online who makes the drop traps for sale was around 5 months behind in filling orders, I printed the specs for making the drop trap. If anyone reading this wants the specs, just email me at DTConsult@cableone.net
Since I’m all thumbs when it comes to building something myself, I enlisted the help of a neighbor who made it for me for much less $ than the lady online.
And, I’m so happy to say, the trap was worth every penny. I was able to trap and spay/neuter each of the remaining two! Think of the money and time it saved me regarding new litters which now will never arrive. Plus, I lend out the drop trap to one of the local animal rescue agencies.
Here is the link to see the demo of the drop trap being used.
http://droptrapdesign.blogspot.com/2005/10/demo-tape-available-vhs.html

I would be extremely grateful if you feel inclined to donate to the management of this feral/abandoned colony, using the PayPal button on the sidebar. Thanks for reading - leave a comment if you like. Please let your friends know about my blog.

Debby Taylor
DTConsult@cableone.net

4 comments:

Jan's Funny Farm said...

Very nice blog. We're glad you stopped by and introduced yourself. We hope our friends from the Cat Blogosphere will stop by and introduce themselves.

Brian said...

Thank you for all you do for us!!!! Just wanted to say hello from your new friends Brian, Sascha, Gracie & Zoe.

The Creek Cats said...

Bless you for all you do for these feral cats. They are so lucky to have you to care for them.
We had our spay/neuter clinic today. Yesterday we did the trapping and found our drop trap to be instrumental in getting our cats.

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing